Among the various refractory cements available on the market, calcium aluminates also known as high alumina cement, refractory cement or even high alumina refractory cement are the most popular hydraulic bonding system.
The website of Kerneos gives a detailed definition of Calcium Aluminates on http://www.kerneos.com/What-are-calcium-aluminates,42
The website also indicates and presents the various applications possible with calcium aluminates: http://www.kerneos.com/What-are-calcium-aluminates-for,43
http://www.kerneos.com/Technology-of-Calcium-Aluminates,103 explains in detail the technology related to calcium aluminates.
Calcium Aluminates are manufactured by Kerneos and include a wide range of alumina content (Ciment Fondu® at 40% alumina, SECAR® 51 at 50% alumina, SECAR® 71, SECAR® 712 at 70% alumina and SECAR® 80, SECAR Plenium®, SECAR Xeniom™ at 80% alumina).
Calcium Aluminates can be used in refractory castables (also called refractory concrete) and are applied with different installation techniques such as:
- vibration casting
- dry gunning
- wet gunning or shotcrete
Technical articles on www.secar.net are available on calcium aluminates:
- 2010 - New solutions to increase the shelf-life of low cement castables
- 2010 - Quick drying castables based upon 80% alumina cements
- 2010 - New aluminate binders and systems for refractory monolithics
- 2009 - A new insight into the characterization of ageing and mechanisms that determine the shelf life of low cement castables
- 2009 - New reactivity controlled calcium aluminate technologies for deflocculated castables
- 2008 - Calcium aluminate cement - What happens when things go wrong ?
- 2008 - Interactions of calcium aluminate cements and other matrix components which control the initial hardening of deflocculated castables
- 2008 - High purity calcium aluminate binders for demanding high temperature applications
- 2007 - The impact of hydration and dehydration conditions on the permeability of LCC systems
- 2007 - The investigations into the interactions of deflocculated castables which control placing and hardening properties, Part 1: placing properties
- 2005 - Microstructural changes in calcium aluminate cement bonded castable systems
- 2005 - A tool kit for construction supervisors responsible for the installation of refractory castables
- 2004 - The impact of calcium aluminate cement hydration upon the properties of refractory castables
- 2002 - Effect of formulation parameters upon the strength development of calcium aluminate cement containing castables
- 2001 - Measuring castable rheology by exothermic profile
- 1997 - Ageing of a low cement castable
- 1997 - Calcium aluminates cements (CAC) for monolithic refractories
- 1995 - Ageing of aluminous cement in LCC